Falcon District 49: District 49 is CLOSED and all district activities are suspended until further notice. Tonight's board meeting is rescheduled for June 20.
• Peterson Air Force Base - RELEASE NO. 2013-06-11-03
DATE: June 11, 2013
Peterson AFB opens evacuation shelter
PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. - Peterson Air Force Base opened an emergency evacuation shelter at the Peterson Fitness and Sports Center for military members and families affected by the Black Forest and Royal Gorge fires June 11.
The shelter is open to all personnel with base access and can accommodate approximately 100 people. The shelter will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
"We want to ensure all personnel affected by these fires know there are resources and support available," said Col. Chuck Arnold, 21st Mission Support Group commander. "We have cots, drinking water and shower facilities available to evacuated military families."
Pets cannot be accommodated at the shelter. More information about locations to shelter animals evacuated by the Black Forest Fire can be found on the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region website at www.hsppr.org/blackforestfire. Personal weapons are also not allowed in the shelter.
The fitness center will not open for regular fitness center patrons until the shelter is closed or is no longer needed. The aquatics center and outdoor fitness locations remain unaffected.
Personnel living in the pre-evacuation or evacuation zones are recommended to have their bags packed in the event of a short-notice evacuation.
A few suggested items to pack include critical documents such as passports, social security cards, birth certificates and bills of sale; clothing including three days of full outfits and towels; child care supplies such as diapers, formula, and favorite pillows, blankets, or stuffed animals; medications and toiletries; pet supplies; and electronic devices such as cell phones, computers, and chargers.
Questions regarding the shelter can be directed to the Peterson AFB Facebook page at Peterson AFB: 21st Space Wing or by calling the Fitness Center at 556-4462. UPDATE Posted: Wed. 12th, 01:01 AM
• Pueblo Community College - All remaining day and night classes Tuesday at the Fremont Campus have been canceled because of the wildfires in the area. Stay tuned for updates concerning Wednesday's possible closure. Posted: Tue. 11th, 03:09 PM
• Canon City RE-1 - The SPLASH summer program at PCC is canceled Wednesday due to the evacuation of the PCC Fremont campus. Posted: Tue. 11th, 06:08 PM
• Falcon District 49 - Large sections in the Northern part of the district are under mandatory evacuation, with many of us threatened or displaced by the Black Forest Fire. We are actively consulting with emergency services to determine if we need to activate district schools or other resources to serve as shelters or staging points.
Later today, we will provide additional information about our contingency plans for any services or facilities that may be disrupted by the fire. If you have an immediate need related to a district service or facility, please contact our Safety and Emergency Coordinator, Dave Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org. At minimum, all activities and workplace responsibilities are cancelled at Falcon High School, Falcon Middle School, and Meridian Ranch Elementary School as well as any other facilities that may be added to the mandatory or pre-evacuation zones. Posted: Wed. 12th, 05:28 AM
• YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region - YMCA at Meridian Ranch is closed. Registered Day Campers may go to Briargate YMCA. UPDATE Posted: Wed. 12th, 05:54 AM
• Tri-Lakes Chapel - Kidz Kamp is canceled for Wednesday. Check website for updates. Posted: Tue. 11th, 08:35 PM